[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]When it comes to gutters, you are probably glad you have some, when they work correctly. If they don’t, you may have problems when it rains or if there is a big storm. A gutter is designed for water to follow a certain path from the top of your house until it gets to the ground. This article will tell you everything you need to know about gutter systems, what types there are, and even information on some of the coolest types out there.
What is a gutter system for?
The idea of gutters has been around for thousands of years and they protect your house from having standing water sitting on top of or around it. This may lessen issues on your roof, your yard, and other surrounding areas.
Generally, they include a trough that runs along the edges of your home. It is placed right underneath your roof, so it can catch the water that flows off in a proper manner. The trough links up with a downspout, which brings the water down to the ground. This is the extent of many gutter systems, but there are other types you can purchase, which take the water even further away from your home or make use of it more efficiently.
Gutters come in many different types, although there are two that are widely used. There are those that are shaped like a U, and others that are that are called K-Style. The latter type does not look like the letter K, and they are very common. It is totally up to you to decide which one you want for your home. There are good things and bad things about both types.
Furthermore, there are sectional and seamless types. Sectional types are broken down into smaller pieces that are put together to make the system complete. Seamless gutters are cut to be the proper size and are in one long piece. Many people prefer seamless gutters since they are thought to be harder to clog up and there are fewer structural weaknesses.
Rain gutter systems can be made of many different types of materials. Some of the most popular types are aluminum and stainless steel. Aluminum ones are considered the best deal since they won’t rust easily and they are the most economical, while steel costs a bit more and is also high quality.
Other types you can purchase are wooden and copper. Wooden gutters are usually only purchased by those that are trying to renovate a house to its historical glory. They are very expensive and have some serious upkeep. On the other hand, copper systems are also expensive, but they really don’t require any upkeep. They will change color over time, but this is something that adds to their charm.
Additionally, there are a few other materials that you can purchase, like vinyl and zinc, but they are less popular. You should do research to find something that will work best for your purposes. Zinc options may be harder to find than others.
There should be no issue when it comes to colors, since gutters can be found in pretty much any color you want. You can even have them painted a certain color and get them to match your house. Most types can be painted or purchased in various colors, except for copper versions. They are only available in their natural color, so you can have the unique look of them as an accent to your home.
If you have a sloping roof, chances are that you have a rooftop gutter system. This is something that you probably do not pay a lot of attention to day-to-day but it’s actually quite important. If it wasn’t there, you may have more foundation problems, rotten wood, or holes in your roof.
This type of system is sometimes paired with other types of systems, to direct the rainwater far enough away to keep your property safe.
On a rooftop system, there are materials you can place in the troughs in order to ensure that they don’t get clogged as easily. These are known as gutter guards, and are available in a number of different types.
These types include foam, mesh, and surface tension types. Each can be installed at any time, and they vary from type to type. There’s not a consensus on which kind is best, although many people prefer the fine mesh type.
Underground Gutter Drainage System
When you have this type of drainage system, the rooftop gutters join up with an underground system of pipes, just as the name suggests. It is actually a pretty complex system, which helps deliver water even farther from your home.
It is a good idea to build this type of system when you build your house, if you are starting from the ground up. If you are upgrading your existing home, you can still install one, but you may need permission from the city. In some cases, you can design it to send the water out to the street or some other place. You want to be sure that it isn’t hurting your yard or a yard near you. It is a great way to keep the water traveling far away from the sensitive areas of your home.
Rain Gutter Grow System
Another type of system that can link up to your rooftop system is a rain gutter grow system. With this type, the water from your gutter is directed into another trough on the ground, which is usually set up with baskets or buckets that contain crops. You use this water to help grow fruits, vegetables, and plants, so that there is no waste. It is a good way to recycle water and also grow something in an environmentally conscious way. In other words, it is a system that waters itself and you don’t have to do much to obtain crops that you can use.
There are some drawbacks to building one, but if you are looking for a cool way to have a garden, it is something you may want to try. There are tutorials on the internet that can help you build one. You don’t need many materials to get started.
Gutter System Installation: Can you put them in yourself?
If you need to get new gutters or want something different, it is a good idea to hire someone to put them in. There are many parts that have to be measured properly and lined up straight, if they are to work properly. Unless you enjoy this type of thing and have a background in it, it’s not really worth your time. You can get someone to install it and they will do all the work. Their work and the system may come with a warranty too, so you can replace it if something unexpected happens.
In terms of the underground system, you should not install this yourself unless you have a lot of experience in this field. Besides sometimes needing special permissions, you must be sure that it isn’t infringing on your lawn or neighbor’s lawns, so you need to be precise. It takes a lot of measuring and other aspects. The process itself is not difficult but you have to get all the little things right, so they will work when the time comes to use them.
The rain gutter system is something that you can install yourself, as long as you look up how to do it. This is another project where the design isn’t complicated, but there is a lot of measuring, drilling, and getting things lined up precisely. If you aren’t someone that is skilled at this, you may want to ask someone you know that is, or hire a professional to install this as well.
How to Keep Them Looking Good
Once you have a gutter system installed, you will need to keep it looking good and working as it should.
- Make sure they are clean. Check your gutters every now and then to make sure that they are clean. When leaves and other debris gets stuck in them, they won’t work right and they may leak or not do their job. This can lead to standing water in your yard or something even worse. To clean them, you may either have to put some gloves on and reach in there and remove leaves, or rinse things out with a pressurized wand affixed to your garden hose.
- Check them out regularly for signs of damage. Besides keeping them clean, you need to be sure that they aren’t rusting or damaged in any way. It should be evident if they have been harmed in some way. They will not work well if they have any type of dents or large holes.
- Replace anything that needs replacing. If you find that a part of your gutter system needs to be replaced, don’t hesitate to do so. Sometimes it may be covered by your insurance, so you can file a claim and keep your house safe. It’s best not to leave a small problem after you know about it, since it can quickly morph into a large problem.
- Look at the specifics in your warranty. Read your warranty and your insurance policy on your house, so you’ll be familiar with what is covered and what isn’t. This will also let you know what you may need to pay out of pocket and what will be covered by the insurance or warranty. It’s best to know ahead of time, so you aren’t stuck with a large bill later on.
- Call a professional if you need help. Just like with the installation, if you need further help with your gutters or need to replace something big, call a professional. Not only can they do the work you need, but they can also give you advice on what you should do if you are unsure.
Gutter Systems Products to Consider
Here are a couple of products that may come in handy when you’re shopping for new gutters.
Gutter Helmet System
This gutter guard is a product that keeps you from having to clean out your gutters all the time. It closes off some of the top of the gutter, meaning there is less room for debris to fall in there and clog the whole thing up. However, it still allows rain to flow through, so that it doesn’t pool up and cause problems.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty. The item comes with a lifetime warranty. It is actually designed to last so long that they call it a triple lifetime warranty. You are unlikely to have to purchase another gutter guard after getting this one. It also means any damage that occurs will be covered, so you won’t have to look elsewhere to get it fixed.
- Has a special finish. It is painted with a special proprietary material that makes it stronger than other options out there. It also keeps it from fading and makes it less likely to rust.
- Brackets are high quality. Special brackets are used to secure this to your existing gutter system. These brackets are made out of aluminum alloy and are able to withstand weather events and much more.
- Unique design. The nose and the outer area of the product are designed to be significant and not like other things you can buy. The nose is constructed to make sure that water is the only thing that can get into it well. The outside of the product has a special texture that allows it to be very strong. This means even if snow or heavy rain hits it, there is a low chance that it will become damaged or fail.
- Handles over 20 inches of rain an hour. It is able to process up to 20 inches of rain an hour. While this is possible, this isn’t likely, so you are well covered. No matter where you live, it should be able to meet the demands you put on it.
- Many colors to choose from. There are numerous colors you can choose from when you purchase this product. You should be able to find something that matches and works well with your home.
This aluminum gutter guard is able to keep up with your gutters and do a lot of work, so you don’t have to do it yourself. It can save you time and money, since you won’t have to get outside on nice days and clean out your gutters. The warranty it comes with may even be better than the gutters themselves, so it’s definitely worth checking out if you are in the market for such an item.
If you live in an area that is quite cold or sees a lot of snow, this product can help you out. It is designed to melt the ice and snow, so it does not accumulate on your gutters and the top of your house. Once it melts, it can flow down your gutters, just as rain would. It is also fitted to work with the Gutter Helmet system seamlessly, and you won’t even see it when it is installed.
- Easy to use. Once you have this inserted into your gutter system, you won’t really have to think about it much. It is a breeze to use and you can take your pick of one of the two possible control boxes it comes with. These boxes are weatherproof and you just have to push a button on the outside to turn the machine on.
- Commercial grade parts. Some of the parts used in this machine are commercial grade. One of these is the cable that is inside the unit. It will not break down or become hot to the touch. This means there is really no chance that it will burn you at any time.
- Will not overheat. Another thing this powerful device promises is that it won’t overheat. It is designed to work well all winter at a steady temperature without failing.
- Keeps snow and ice away. The main purpose of it is to keep ice and snow off your roof and keep it from falling down in dangerous amounts or sheets. It gently melts them, so they run down your gutters and won’t be a safety hazard.
- Works in conjunction with Gutter Helmet system. This is installed underneath the Gutter Helmet, so it can’t be seen. This also means that it is protected from the elements, which is a good thing.
The Helmet Heat can be a lifesaver if you live in a chilly place. Since there is no upkeep and you don’t have to worry about looking after it, you can spend your time getting other parts of your home ready for the frigid temperatures. It is also easy to control and will stay warm all season. This adds up to many things to like, especially if you want to install the Gutter Helmet system into your home as well.
While thinking about and purchasing gutters may not be the most glamorous thing in the world, they are an important part of your home. They keep weather events from harming your homestead and can protect you in a number of different ways.
A properly installed gutter drainage system can shield you for many years without fail. Some types have long warranties and others are covered by home insurance. You can purchase them in a number of different materials, styles, and colors. There are so many ways you can customize your system, so that it fits your house just the way you want it to.
Besides that, you are able to do additional things with your gutter system, such as running underground lines, using the runoff water to grow crops, and even doing your best to ensure that your gutters stay clean.
In the last category, there are so many products that can help you out. The two that were discussed in this article are pretty much invaluable. You really can’t have one without the other.
The Gutter Helmet is not only impressive because of its lifetime warranty, but also because the whole thing is made well and constructed of strong materials. When you own one, you won’t be spending a lot of time cleaning out your gutters because they will stay clean. This is a big plus and something that pretty much everyone wants. It can be dangerous and exhausting to have to physically clean out the gutters, especially if they are really clogged. A gutter guard like this one does that work for you, but still lets water flow through just fine. This means it can be used even if you have an underground gutter drainage system or rain gutter grow system.
The Helmet Heat is also very impressive, especially in snowy locales. Icicles will no longer be a problem and you won’t have to be afraid to go outside and look up. This product melts them and melts any dangerous ice and snow that is trying to accumulate on your gutters. It is fitted into the Gutter Helmet system as well, so even though you can’t see it, you will know it’s working.
Overall, you just need to know what you want and in what color. Keep in mind that it is best if you get a professional to do all the hard work. You will be glad you did too, especially if something goes wrong and you need any further help. Always keep your gutters clean and looking good, and they will keep working the way that they are designed to. [/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]